Liverpool Ramblers 1st XI vs Liverpool Ramblers 2nd XI

Match Report

Result: Ramblers 1st XI 2-1 Ramblers 2nd XI 


A Louis Holt double was enough to see the 1st team return to winning ways in a well-contested inter-club fixture. 

A goal in either half saw the side banish any lingering memories of last week’s disappointing cup defeat against Port Sunlight and provide a much-needed confidence boost ahead of one of the biggest games of the season next week against Repton.

After Holt scored early and then doubled his tally midway through the second half, the 1st team should have ran away with the game and in the final 15 minutes could have registered more goals. 

However, a late consolation strike for the Seconds with the last kick of the game made it a more modest scoreline. 


Morrissey (GK), Bradshaw (RB), Doherty (CB), Wise (CB), Newton (LB), Handley (Dan Wise Role), Gendall (CM), Phillips (CM), Shields (RW), Martin (LW), Holt (ST)

First Half:

The opening exchanges were fairly even as a very offensive looking First team tried to get a grip of the game. The seconds probably shaded the beginning of the game and had a few shots from distance which didn’t really trouble stand-in keeper Morrissey. 

The Firsts opened the scoring with perhaps their first real chance of the game. A Bradshaw corner caused chaos in the area and a scramble saw the ball end up on the left boot of Holt, who made no mistake in firing the ball into the net to make it 1-0.

Gendall then could have made it 2-0 when winning the ball back on the edge of the area and lifting the ball over the top of the stranded goalkeeper, but the ball floated harmlessly over the bar.

Shields and Holt combined well down the right and a one-two saw the former in on goal, but he couldn’t quite get his foot round the shot and it was cleared for a throw in.

The only other noteworthy moment in the first half saw Gendall attempt his first ever step-over, hopefully never to be repeated.

Second Half:  

An unchanged side emerged from the break and began showing improved composure on the ball. The Firsts were starting the dominate with Gendall and Phillips covering every blade of grass. Newton and Bradshaw were looking composed in the full back positions despite the now routine lack of tracking back from me and Shields.

Despite this, the Seconds came close to equalising but Wise made a brilliant last ditch block on the line and the danger was cleared. 

Bradshaw then fired a low shot which fizzed past the back post after being set-up by Phillips. Holt also came close after sending a powerful drive just wide. 

The lead should have been doubled when Shields was put through but his shot was parried. I then followed up with another effort which was cleared off the line. 

The second goal eventually came when Holt bullied his way past the last defender and when through on goal, calmly side-footed into the far corner of the net. 

The two goal cushion allowed us to take a gamble and give Jordan a run-out, who came on for the last 20 minutes.

He nearly scored after heading a Gendall cross straight at the keeper before Phillips flashed a long-range left footed effort wide. 

After a corner was cleared to the edge of the box, a Handley shot which was on target and possibly finding the net was helpfully flicked over the bar by me. He assured me it was flying into the net but I couldn’t be sure so had to deflect it over.

How the Firsts didn’t get a third was down to some very questionable refereeing decisions. Firstly, my volleyed finish from a Bradshaw cross was somehow adjudged to be offside even though it was played across the box. 

Secondly, I was denied a penalty when I was the victim of what can only be described as a rugby tackle. From the resulting corner I then hit a shot off the post. 

With the last kick of the game, the Seconds reduced the deficit to 2-1 after a low shot from the edge of the box rebounded in off the post.

It proved to be the last kick of the game as the First 11 returned to winning ways. 


Date Time League Season
November 4, 2017 11:00 am 1st XI Fixtures 2017-18


Moor Lane
14 Moor Ln, Thornton, Liverpool L23 4TW, UK