Herbert Edward Pease

Herbert Edward Pease, A Malvernian Rambler

When he joined Liverpool Ramblers during their time as tenants of Crosby Cricket Club, Herbert Ernest Pease had journeyed from the other side of the World to do so. He was born 10th August 1889 at Dunedin in New Zealand and was the first child of Alfred, who was English, and his Australian wife Emile. The family soon returned to Great Britain for they are found on the 1901 census living in Manchester where the Head of Household declares his occupation to be a Broker. Young Herbert, who is missing from the list, has been sent away to be educated at Malvern School.

During his days there he became conversant with the rules of the association game in what were illustrious times at the Worcestershire location. Herbert Pease, when 12 years old, would have joined in the wild celebrations that occurred when the Old Malvernians lifted the FA Amateur Cup with a convincing 5-1 win over the famous Bishop Auckland in the final that was played in Leeds. During his time at Malvern, Herbert joined the O T C and was a member of the school Shooting Eight.


When the 1911 census was taken, he is back at the family home in Manchester and working as an Insurance Clerk. At the outbreak of World War One, he volunteered for military service and was granted a commission in the Durham Light Infantry.

The Pease family had for many years been closely connected to the town of Darlington. Indeed, his father had been born there in a large house called “Feethams” which later became the home of the local Football League club. Herbert did his basic training with the Regiment and had achieved the rank of Captain when – attached to the 12th Battalion – he landed in France on the 25th of August 1915. On the 8th of July 1916 – during the Somme Offensive – Captain Pease – showing Conspicuous Gallantry – led his company in the 2-day Battle that captured Bailiff Wood and was awarded the D S O. When the conflict ended – having reached the rank of Temporary Colonel – Herbert Pease attached himself to the Egyptian Army and as stationed in the Sudan.

Two years later he made a return visit to England where – on the 21st of September 1921 – he married the honourable Cynthia Chaloner at Guisborough in North Yorkshire. The bride was the youngest daughter of the 1st Baron of Guisborough and the local Boy Scout troop, with which she was much involved, formed a guard of honour. The couple then settled in the Blue Nile region of the Sudan.

In 1923 Herbert Pease was stationed at the Military School in Khartoum where he remained for 2 years. He was then attached to the Sudan Defence Corps until his retirement from Military life in 1929. He next became a civil servant and was awarded with The Order of the Nile for his services to the Egyptian nation.

During their time in the Sudan the couple had purchased a 15th century house and 5-acre estate, named Wood Farm, near Bishops Stortford in Essex. It was here that their 3 sons were born. Mrs Cynthia Pease was at this residence when she died on the 6th of October 1937 and her body was taken back to Guisborough where the funeral service was held. The coffin was draped in the Union Jack on which was placed her Scout Hat, Belt and Scarf. The principal mourners were her Husband, 3 sons and Lord and Lady Guisborough.

Herbert Pease had returned to the Sudanese Political Service when, on the 10th of October 1938, he married England born Sylvia Gurney at Wadi Halfa in the Northern Province of Sudan. The couple lived there until 1951 and then emigrated to Kenya where Herbert Pease became a Farmer. This former Liverpool Rambler was living near the Kenyan town of Njoro when he died on the 27th of August 1957.